Digital Marketing is the marketing method that uses the internet and online digital technologies to analyze the market, develop strategies and implement them with the aim of promoting brands, products and services.
It can also be defined, in short, as “achieving marketing objectives through the application of technologies and digital media”.
In other words, Digital Marketing includes all marketing activities that use any electronic device or online channel.
For this reason there is a very wide spectrum of tactics and tools that fall within the scope of “digital marketing”: from the website itself, to the use of digital channels such as search engines, social media, online advertising, l ‘ e-mail marketing , online video and more.
The use of the Internet and other digital media and technologies to support “modern marketing” has given rise to a range of labels and jargons created by both academics and professionals.
It’s been called digital marketing, Internet marketing, and web marketing (although there are some small differences, as we’ll see below), and these alternative terms have varied over time, as this screenshot from Google Trends shows .
Digital Marketing or Web Marketing, what’s the difference?
This is one of the most interesting and common questions you can ask an expert in the sector: digital or web marketing , what’s the difference
Often these terms are used interchangeably, but that is a mistake. Not very serious but still a problem to be solved.
Especially if you keep moving in this direction. In reality, the answer to the question is all too simple: web promotion is a section of digital marketing.
In fact, with this last element we mean all the promotion systems that include the tools and dynamics that cross digital. The World Wide Web , understood as the Internet, is one of these elements.
The first step is to avoid using digital or web marketing as words that can be exchanged at will.
But what to know beyond this point? How can you address and deepen these definitions to have a clear vision of the work to be done?
What is digital marketing
We address the issue through a series of key steps. As anticipated, the term digital marketing means all the dynamics that allow a company, a freelancer or any association (including non-profit) to advertise what is most convenient.
From commercial offers to useful information to build customer loyalty. All this happens through digital
This means, for example, that the notifications that apps can send on mobile phones fall within the digital marketing world.
For example, there are marketing strategies that make the smartphone work on the concept of proximity.
So when I walk past a store, or near a department store stand, I can receive a push notification .
Another example of digital marketing?
The use of augmented reality for promotional purposes that slowly peeps out. Of course, all this is interesting but it has not yet spread as can be said of web strategies.
The concept of digital advertising
The mechanism is the same: online advertising is the one that moves between the web and includes Display Advertising such as the sale of banner ad, or web banner, is an advertisement displayed on a web page. The announcement consists of an image (.jpg, .png, .gif) or an object …, the Search Advertising (abbreviated ADV) means advertising, it is a paid message that a company sends with the aim of informing or influencing the people who receive it …of Google Ads and that related to social media marketing .
A random name is that of Facebook ADS . Digital advertising includes all this and goes beyond, it does not stop at what happens on the web.
What is web marketing
Here we mean the activities that exploit the spider’s web as big as the world. That is to say the WWW as we know it, experts in blogging, web copywriting, SEO Search Engine Optimization (search engine optimization): the set of strategies and practices to position websites or web pages in the organic results of the engines …, inbound marketing , lead generation Lead generation is the process of attracting and converting potential customers into leads, then obtaining contact information. In digital marketing we use a …, community manager and social media marketer. Just to say the main professions.
Do you want to bring customers to your website through inbound marketing? Perfect, you have to do SEO, the right search engine optimization.
Or you can open a blog. A blog (short for “weblog”) is an “online newspaper”, or informational website, which displays information in reverse chronological order, with the latest …and intercept the searches that people make on the internet. Or, again, you need to create a social media strategy.
Is all this digital or web marketing?
It falls into both categories because what moves in the latter definition is part of the digital world. But the opposite cannot be said.
To learn more: how to evaluate the quality of a website
Digital or web marketing?
Impossible to answer this question because there is no good solution for every occasion.
Today there are web and digital agencies, as if to make people understand what the substantial difference is.
On the one hand you can make a good website and email marketing campaign (there’s a lot more, huh), on the other hand you have the option to look further. And to think of something specific.
It all depends on what you need, the ambitions you have and the results you want to achieve.
Advantages of Digital Marketing
While traditional marketing can consist of advertisements in the mass media (print, television, radio), telephone communication or in-person marketing, digital marketing can take place electronically and online.
This means that there are a number of infinite possibilities for the brand A Brand is an identification symbol, trademark, logo, name, word and / or phrase that companies use to distinguish their product from others. A combination …, including email, video, social media, or website-based marketing opportunity.
For this, Digital Marketing is vital for almost any type of company, to increase the business and the brand awareness Brand awareness is a marketing term that describes the degree of recognition of a product by the consumer through its name or ….
Businesses today are leveraging digital channels like search engines, social media, email and other websites to connect with current and potential customers.
Today, virtually every company has a website. And if it doesn’t, it at least has a presence on social media.
Digital content and marketing are so common that consumers now rely on it as a way to learn about brands, find useful information about them before buying, and in many cases shop directly online.
In short, to be competitive as an entrepreneur, you need to embrace some aspects of digital marketing.
Since digital marketing has so many options and strategies associated with it, one can be creative and experiment with a variety of marketing tactics by having a budget A budget is an estimate of income and expenses over a specified period of time in the future, and is usually compiled and re-evaluated periodically. THE… adequate available.
With digital marketing it is also possible to use tools such as analytics dashboards to track and measure success and ROI The ROI (Return On Investment, “return on investment”) is the income generated by a given investment, less the cost of the investment itself. ROI is typically the measure … advertising campaigns more than is possible with traditional promotional content — such as a billboard or print advertisement.
Types of Digital Marketing
As we have already mentioned, there is a very broad spectrum of tactics and tools that fall under the scope of “digital marketing”.
Digital marketers have a clear idea of how each digital campaign supports their overall goals. And depending on the goals of their marketing strategy, they can develop a campaign across multiple channels (free and paid) at their disposal.
We therefore prefer to use the terminology “digital marketing channels” rather than “types”. Each channel that can be used to reach potential customers can be more or less complex, depending on the level of integration and the tactics that apply to the overall strategy.
A web copywriter , for example, can create a series of blog posts that they serve to generate lead Often translated as “contact”, a lead is an individual or company who has shown interest by sharing contact information, such as email address, telephone number … through an ebook to download.
The company’s social media manager could help promote these blog posts through paid and organic posts on the company’s social media accounts.
Those involved in email marketing could instead create an email campaign to send those who download the ebook more information about the company.
But the above is just one example of a possible strategy. Which and how many channels available to use in a digital marketing strategy basically depends on the understanding of the potential customer ‘s customer journey , which in turn may depend on the type of product / service that is offered.
To give a practical example, people don’t buy a car in the same way and time as they buy a pizza.
The analysis of the customer journey is therefore one of the main activities to outline a correct digital strategy.
For further information: How to design a Customer Journey Map
This image represents an example of all the potential touchpoints of the customer journey, showing the scale and opportunities that digital marketing offers — more than just a “website” or “a Facebook page”.
It is essential to understand that, depending on the type of product / service that the company offers, the customer journey — and consequently the tactics and channels to be used in the digital marketing strategy — changes significantly.
With that in mind, here’s a quick rundown of some of the more common digital marketing tactics and the channels involved in each.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
This is the website optimization process to “rank” higher on search engine results pages, thereby increasing the amount of organic (free) traffic the website receives. Channels that benefit from SEO include websites and blogs.
There are several ways to approach SEO in order to generate qualified traffic to the website.
To learn more: SEO, what it is and how it works
- On-page SEO: This type of SEO focuses on all the content that exists “on the page” when looking at a website. By researching keywords by their search volume and intent (or meaning), you can answer questions from readers and rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPSERP: acronym for Search Engine Results Pages, literally “search engine results page”. SERPs are web pages served to users when …) that these questions produce.
- Off page SEO: This type of SEO focuses on all the activities that take place “off page” when trying to optimize your website. What activity not on the website could affect the ranking? The response is inbound links, also known as backlinks. The number of linking sites, and the relative “authority” of those sites, affect ranking. For further information: Link Building .
- Technical SEO: This type of SEO focuses on the website backend, and how your pages are coded. Image compression, structured data, and CSS file optimization are all forms of technical SEO that can increase website loading speed — an important contributing factor ranking In SEO, Ranking refers to the position in the ranking of search engines such as Google. Get a good ranking for relevant keywords for … in the eyes of search engines like Google.
This term refers to the creation and promotion of content assets for the purpose of generating brand awareness, traffic growth, lead generation and customers. Channels that can play a role in your content marketing strategy include (but are not limited to):
- Blog post: Writing and posting articles on a corporate blog helps demonstrate industry experience and generates organic search traffic. This ultimately offers more opportunities to convert website visitors into leads for the sales team.
- Ebooks and Whitepapers: Ebooks, whitepapers, and similar long-term content help educate website visitors further. It also allows you to exchange content for a reader’s contact information, generating leads for the company and moving people throughout the customer journey.
- Video: Video is central to your content strategy because it is small in size, memorable, and measurable. Because it’s particularly visual, you can use the video to teach complex concepts, to share customer stories, and to inspire specific marketing actions (like demos, trials, subscriptions, and more).
Social Media Marketing
This practice promotes the brand and content on social media channels to increase brand awareness, drive traffic and generate leads. Channels that can be used in social media marketing include:
But every day new social networks are born and die that could be interesting for a specific audience targetTarget refers to a group of potential customers to whom a company wants to sell its products or services. The Target is consequently also ….
For further information: Social Media Marketing: what it is and how it works
Pay Per Click (PPC)
The PPCPPC stands for pay-per-click (pay per click), it is a type of advertising in which advertisers pay a figure every time their ad …is a method of driving traffic to your website by paying every time an ad is clicked. One of the most common types of PPC is Google Ads , which allows you to pay for the best slots on Google’s search engine results pages at a “per click” price on the links.
To learn more: Google Ads: what it is and how it works
Other channels where PPC can be used include:
- Paid ads on Facebook: Here, users can pay to personalize a video, image post or presentation, which Facebook — thanks to its algorithm — will post on the feed of people who match the company’s audience. To learn more: Facebook Ads: complete guide from scratch .
- Twitter ad campaigns: Here, users can pay to insert a series of profile posts or badges into news feed The news feed (newsfeed) is the list of content just posted on a website. Many social networks, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn, have … of a specific audience.
- Sponsored Posts on LinkedIn: Here, users can pay to send messages directly to specific LinkedIn users based on their industry and background.
This is a type of performance-based advertising where you receive a commission for promoting someone else’s products or services on your website.
To learn more: Affiliate Marketing: what it is and how it works
The marketing automation refers to specific software used to automate core marketing operations. Many marketing departments can automate repetitive tasks that they would otherwise do manually, such as:
- Send e-mail newsletters: e-mail automation doesn’t just allow you to automatically send e-mails to your subscribers. It can also help you narrow and expand your contact list as needed, so that newsletters only go to people who want to see them in their inbox.
- Social media post scheduling: To increase the company’s presence on a social network , it may sometimes be necessary to post frequently. This makes manual publishing a lengthy process. Social media planning tools push content to social media channels, so you can spend more time on content strategy.
- Lead-nurturing workflows: lead generation, and the conversion In web marketing, conversion means when a user takes a specific — measurable — action that is important to your business. Examples are access to the site, the visit of …of these leads into customers can be a long process. You can automate this process by sending lead-specific emails and content once they meet certain criteria, such as when they download and open an ebook.
- Campaign Tracking and Reporting: Marketing campaigns can include lots of different people, emails, content, web pages, phone calls, and more. Marketing automation can help you sort everything you work on based on the campaign you need, and then track that campaign’s performance based on the progress all of these components make over time.
For further information: Marketing Automation: when it is appropriate to use it
Businesses use email marketing as a means of communicating with their audience. Email is often used to promote content, discounts and events, as well as to direct people to the company’s website. The types of emails you can send in an email marketing campaign include:
- Newsletter subscription to the blog.
- Follow-up emails for website visitors who have downloaded something.
- Welcome email to customers.
- Holiday promotions to loyalty program members.
- Tips or similar email series for customer education.
The Digital PR Digital PR is a digital marketing tactic that consists of networking with journalists, bloggers and influencers to increase online presence and …are the practice of securing online coverage earned with digital publications, blogs, and other content-based websites. They are very similar to PR stands for Public Relations. They are a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between companies and their audience ….traditional, but in the online space. Channels that can be used to maximize PR efforts include:
- Reaching out to reporters through social media: Talking to reporters on Twitter, for example, is a great way to develop a relationship with the press that produces earned media opportunities for the company.
- Encourage online reviews: When someone reviews the company online, whether the review is good or bad, the instinct may be not to touch it. Conversely, responding helps humanize the brand and deliver a powerful message that protects reputation.
- Comments on your website or personal blog: Similar to how you respond to company reviews, responding to people reading your content is the best way to generate a productive conversation in the industry.
It refers to a marketing methodology in which they attract, engage, and delight customers at every stage of the buyer’s journey. You can use all of the digital marketing tactics listed above, as part of an inbound marketing strategy, to create a customer experience that works with the customer, not against them. Here are some classic examples of inbound marketing versus traditional marketing:
- Blogging vs. pop-up ads
- Video marketing vs. commercial advertising
- Contact lists email vs. spam email
To learn more: What is Inbound Marketing
With sponsored content, a brand pays another company or entity to create and promote content that discusses the brand or service in some way.
A popular type of sponsored content is theinfluencerInfluencer is anyone who has the power to influence the purchasing decisions of others due to his or her authority, knowledge, position or relationship with the …marketing. With this type of content, a brand sponsors an influencer in its industry to post company-related posts or videos on social media.
Another type of sponsored content can be a blog post or article that is written to highlight a topic, service, or brand. See Guest post .
What does those involved in digital marketing do
Digital marketers have the task of driving brand awareness, lead generation or online purchases through all digital channels — both free and paid — available to a company.
These channels include — as we’ve seen — social media, the company’s website, search engine rankings, email, display advertising, and the company’s blog.
A digital marketing professional usually focuses on several key performance indicators (KPIs, an acronym for Key Performance Indicators, are a set of quantifiable measures that a company uses to evaluate its performance over time. These…) for each channel, in order to correctly measure the company’s performance on each of them.
An SEO digital marketer, for example, measures their website’s “organic traffic” — that traffic from website visitors who found a page on the company’s website via a Google search.
Today, digital marketing is played by many marketing roles. In small businesses, a single person could master some of the tactics described above at the same time.
In larger companies, these tactics have multiple specialists each focusing on one or two of the brand’s digital channels.